This recipe was inspired by Tesco and adapted to suit sweet mini cupcakes. These require a little bit of fiddly work, but are definitely worth it. For the best results, use this Lakeland mini sandwich tins which makes cute mini sponges!
(makes about 10 cupcakes - double the recipe for a full-sized cake)
200g self-raising flour
1 level tsp bicarbonate soda
125g caster sugar
55ml vegetable oil - sunflower oil is best! (You might like to add a drop more if the batter is dry)
200ml almond milk
2 tbsp golden syrup (or maple syrup if you'd like it less sweet)
1 tsp Madagascan Vanilla extract
Your choice of Jam to decorate
Icing sugar to dust
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/ 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Mix together the self-raising flour, bicarbonate soda and caster sugar in a bowl. In a separate bowl, blend together the liquids: almond milk, golden syrup, vanilla extract and vegetable oil.
3. Combine the liquid and dry ingredients and use a hand blender to ensure it's smooth and fully combined.
4. Pour into cupcake cakes - or a special baking tin - and cook in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden round and a toothpick comes out clean - (If you're using a cake tin, cook for a lot longer).
5. To decorate, cut the cupcakes in two, spread with a jam of your choice and sandwich back together. Dust with icing sugar and they're ready to serve!
6. Share with others or keep them for yourself. Enjoy!