This is healthy, child-approved and packed with goodness; what more is there to say?
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
1 medium red onion
3-4 garlic cloves
2 medium carrots
1 stick celery
2 large plum tomatoes (or any other kind)
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tin plum tomatoes
550ml vegetable stock
Fresh basil leaves (optional)
Nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Finely chop your vegetables (red onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes) and crush the garlic cloves.
2. Heat the oil in a wok on a medium-high heat; add the chopped red onion and garlic and heat until aromatic and tender but not browned.
3. After five minutes, add in the carrots, celery and tomatoes (not tinned). Once soft, add in the tomato puree.
4. Once combined, pour in the tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock. At this point, add in the nutritional yeast (optional), fresh basil leaves (also optional) and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and leave on a simmer (medium heat) for 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes, remove the wok from the heat; mix with an electric blender to your chosen level of smoothness.
6. Serve with granary toast and enjoy! Additionally, you could also prepare some macaroni or spaghetti and add it in for a minestrone style soup!